Saturday, June 6, 2009

Everybody's on the same wavelength

A quick comment before I get back to writing a description of the armed conflict/civil war in Sri Lanka (which recently ended after 26 years!)

The Argentina - Colombia football match is on, and a crowd of people from my residence are attentively glued to the television in the common room, watching. Minding my own business, writing my essay, I suddenly hear an outraged roar, beginning with my house-mates downstairs, then joined by the neighbors behind the house, then from dozens of windows and floors of the apartment buildings alongside the residence. The sound of collective dashed hope and disbelief swells and echoes several seconds through the entire block, neighborhood, city for all I know, ending with a few stray "No!!"s.

This can only mean one thing. Judging by the reaction, I can safely say that this one thing is more terrible and acute than a global recession, or the disappearance and certain death of over 200 plane passengers, or dozens of civilian deaths by a suicide bomber or misplaced missile. Argentina has scored a goal.

1 comment:

  1. Possibly echoed through all of the Southern Cone. We, in a hostel in Igauzu, Misiones, Argentina, heard a similar roar (of course, this side of the Andes, it's celebration).

    ReplyDelete